- Is both physical and emotional in nature
- Carries some risk – you can become pregnant, receive an STI, or have it affect your emotional well-being
- Is a milestone– you only get one chance to lose your virginity
- Is not to be taken lightly – males and females
- Is best when it is a personal expression of caring between two people
SEX IS NOT
- A way to make somebody love you or make a commitment to you
- A test of your love for your partner
- A measure of how grown up you are
- A good way to get back at your parents
- Away to assert your independence
- A way to measure up toyour peers
- Always fun or enjoyable – sometimes you will wonder if it was really worth it
IF YOU CHOOSE TO HAVE SEX
- Make sure you and your partner are ready. ALWAYS ask!
- Don’t be afraid to ask your partner about their sexual health history. It is your right to know!
- Use protection
- Protection for both STIs (i.e. condoms) as well as a form of back up birth control just in case!
- If you’re unsure if your method of birth control worked, consider an emergency contraception pill (Plan B.)
- Talk to an adult you trust